Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Side Note




I have not abandoned my Daphne drawing, but I have taken a little hiatus from it. I got a sewing machine from my Mom yesterday, an event I had been anticipating for a while. After a trip to the library and to the bookstore, I did a lot of reading and DVD-watching to try and figure out how to sew (since I had not used a sewing machine since middle school, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). Fortunately my preparations paid off, and I was able to create an extremely simple travel bag with directions I found on the internet. It is literally just a cloth envelope with a zipper, good for holding makeup or toiletries in your luggage. Still, it was a nice, simple way for me to start out. The navy paisley one above was my first effort. I made a couple of mistakes, but it did end up being a usable bag. My daughter paid me the ultimate compliment and asked me to make her one, so that was one of today's projects. I hope to do another session of working on Daphne tonight or tomorrow.

No comments: