Saturday, December 29, 2007

Sloggin'


I have to admit I've been quite intimidated by the Daphne drawing. I guess it's because of several reasons. Realism is not my strength, for one thing. Another thing is that it has been a very long time since I have done any kind of a portrait (probably about 15 years). Finally, this dog it really important and special to me, and I want to do an excellent job. All of this, plus the inevitable holiday rush, has given me cause to stay away from my studio....until today. Finally I felt ready to add on to what I did last time, resigned to the fact that if I screwed it up too badly, I could always start again. Fortunately, it actually didn't go too badly. The problem is getting the right texture and color in the shiny parts of her fur. I have laid down a foundation in the middle of her forehead, but I think I will be experimenting with it for some time to come. Hopefully updates for this will be more frequent.


Additionally, I have started a new paisley. My mom challenged me to create a paisley in monotone. I chose a Stonehenge paper in cream and paired it with a Lyra pencil in sap green, which I think is a very attractive color combo. So far I have blocked out the basic shape and the fringy blobby things I like to put around it, but that's it. I'll probably post some photos early next week.

No comments: