Thursday, December 20, 2007

New Project


I have had this project waiting in the wings while I finished my mom's paisley. I wanted to do a colored pencil portrait of our beloved dog, Daphne. This is a very special dog, a real comfort to our family (she's a natural therapy dog). I want her portrait to be really beautiful. The catch? I don't do much realism, and I also don't know much about doing layers like most colored pencil artists do (you may notice there were no layers in the paisley). So this is a double challenge for me. Above, you see the photo I am working on and the tracing I took to give me guidelines. I am creating on 8 1/2" X 11" white Stonehenge paper with Prismacolors. If you want to know how I did the tracing part of it, just drop me a message and I'll explain that.


My mom gave me good advice about how to approach the fur texture. I am simplifying it for myself somewhat because I don't have the patience to do a lot of layers all in one place. I can handle a few though. If you look below, you will see the part of the project I did tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the finished results. I love dogs - all dogs. I have two cats as I am an apartment dweller. Merry Christmas, Sarah!
Patricia

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait to see your finished results. I love dogs,all dogs. At the present I have two cats, as I am an apartment dweller. Merry Christmas, Sarah.
Patricia

DD said...

Looks like you are off to a good start! Because Daphne's a black dog, you could consider drawing her in 4B and 6B graphite pencil...it's more forgiving...you could still do her eyes with colored pencil.