Monday, December 17, 2007

Finished!


This went a lot faster towards the end, for some reason. What a learning experience! I think the main thing I learned on this one was to keep my pencils really, really sharp unless I was laying down a large field of color, in which case multiple layers were needed. I also learned that I was frustrated by working with a limited set of colors....although I really like the way it works. Using the Tuscan Red for all the outlines brings some unity to a pretty chaotic image. So do the repeated themes such as gradients, natural elements (hair, fish scales, etc.), and curved lines.


I realize this creation has some serious limitations as far as composition goes, and that overall it is, like I said, pretty chaotic. But hey, so is life. I'm proud that it turned out as well as it did given my fairly primitive level of skill. And now it is ready to give to my mom for Christmas.
Oh, and in case you didn't know (I didn't until someone pointed it out to me) you can click on the picture to see it up close and personal-like.

8 comments:

Faye said...

Sarah, that is so cool. How clever you are to come up with all those different elements in your paisley. Very nice.

CreativSpirit said...

Hi Sarah,

I love your paisley and I'm sure that your mum well love it too. How lucky she is that you put so much time and talent into her present.

I have enjoyed seeing it develop into the finished artwork.

Cheers,

Rob

Anonymous said...

Totally AWESOME, Sarah!
What color shall we mat it in?
This has been such an exciting project to share with you!
love
Mom

Danielle said...

It's wonderful Sarah and I'm sure your Mom is going to love it. I have really enjoyed watching it progress along. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Merry Christmas!

~Danielle

Marilyn said...

Beautiful work. I don't know if I would attempt it. It seems really complicated.

Pink Elephant Soapery said...

OMG!! Sarah this is just beautiful! Your mother is one lucky gal to have such a talented daughter. May this Holiday Season bring you great joy.

Dobell Family-Reaching Out said...

WOW! Awesome Sarah this has been wonderful watching your work evolve. I dont see it as chaotic at all ..I see fish and birds within the design and leaves and vines. I saw a designer behind the wonderful design..ok now start another one so we can all watch lol Very inspiring and entertaining...Teach me please smiles Michelle

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

The paisley came out really nice. Your mother is going to love it.
Very nice how to you integrated it and made it work so well.

All the best,

Mary W.