Thursday, December 20, 2007

So Far


Here is the part of Daphne's fur I did tonight. That section is quite dark and in the photo does not show much texture; I chose to keep it dark, but to give more texture. Of course this will probably be modified later in the process. Basically it is black fur texture over blue slate (Daphne has a blue undertone to her fur). I know some people say you should never use black colored pencil, but instead should mix your black out of other colors. Well, I tried that on scratch paper with different color combos, and none of them looked like Daphne's fur as much as the black pencil does, so I'm going to try it this way. If I'm not happy with it, I'll probably do it again. I'm bound and determined to do this well (not perfectly, mind you, but well).

1 comment:

paint1chris said...

Hi Sarah. You are off to a great start with your dog. I have painted a picture of my cat once and the fur was a big challenge. He was black also, but not really black if you know what I mean. I used oil pastels. I think you mentioned that you have an underpainting of blue slate and that should enhance the black you use. Mixing colours adds life to black and your underpainting will do the same thing.
Keep us posted on your project.
Chris in Alberta